Saturday, January 2, 2010

My First Bunny Chow

In South Africa they have a delicious and delightful invention called Bunny Chow. It's a loaf of bread scooped out and filled with curry. I've seen it done with veggie, chicken or lamb curries. Lamb is my favorite but, as this was my first attempt at making curry (and I didn't know yet where to get any decent lamb), I went with chicken.

So I picked up a couple rotisserie chickens from the street-corner stand, some 'taters from the market, pulled a chicken curry recipe off the net, adapted it to what I actually had in my spice cupboard, and cooked up a batch in my big ole cast iron dutch oven.



Now the standard South African version is done with a loaf-shaped loaf of soft white bread but all the loaf-shaped stuff comes pre-sliced here so I went with a nice hearty bole



And then you just cut it in half, scoop out the innards and fill it up with spicy and delicious curry.



Yummy!

3 comments:

artemisia said...

That sounds REALLY good.

Happy New Year!

BiblioDiva said...

mmmmm...yummy! What a good way to start the New Year.

PettyBureaucrat said...

It was QUITE good.
Actually I made this a couple weeks ago but just got to posting it now.
And happy New Year to my two faithful readers (and two of my favorite people on the planet).